The Best Stocks to Invest in 2012 - 9 Insurance Stocks That Aren’t'Sure Things'

For the time being I’ve willed myself away from the financial industry as its problems still outweigh any benefit for any investor’s portfolio. And, once again, I have for you a group of struggling insurance companies who I’ve put on my sell list for a number of fundamental reasons.
I watch more than 5,000 publicly traded companies with my Portfolio Grader tool, ranking companies by a number of fundamental and quantitative measures.
Here they are, in alphabetical order. Each one of these stocks gets a “D” or “F” according to my research.
The Best Stocks to Invest in 2012 -The Best Stocks to Invest in 2012 -American International Group (NYSE:AIG) is an international insurance company that works with customers in more than 130 countries. In the last year, AIG stock has dropped nearly 34%. AIG stock gets an “F” for sales growth, an “F” for earnings momentum, an “F” for the magnitude in which earnings projections have increased over the past month, a “D” for cash flow and an “F” for return on equity in my Portfolio Grader tool. For more information, view my complete analysis of AIG stock.
The Best Stocks to Invest in 2012 -Genworth Financial (NYSE:GNW) provides insurance, wealth management, investment and financial solutions. GNW is nearly 31% since last February. GNW stock gets an “F” for sales growth, an “F” for operating margin growth, an “F” for earnings growth, an “F” for its ability to exceed the consensus earnings estimates on Wall Street, a “D” for the magnitude in which earnings projections have increased over the past month, a “D” for cash flow and a “D” for return on equity in my Portfolio Grader tool. For more information, view my complete analysis of GNW stock.
Hartford Financial Services Group (NYSE:HIG) is an insurance and financial services company consisting of 52 mutual funds. In the last 12 months, HIG stock has dipped 30%. HIG stock gets an “F” for sales growth, a “D” for operating margin growth, an “F” for earnings growth, an “F” for earnings momentum, an “F” for its ability to exceed the consensus earnings estimates on Wall Street, an “F” for the magnitude in which earnings projections have increased over the past month and a “D” for return on equity in my Portfolio Grader tool. For more information, view my complete analysis of HIG stock.
The Best Stocks to Invest in 2012 -Lincoln National (NYSE:LNC) owns multiple insurance and retirement businesses. Despite gains by the broader markets, LNC stock is down almost 22% in the last year. LNC stock gets a “D” for sales growth, a “D” for earnings growth and a “D” for earnings momentum in my Portfolio Grader tool. For more information, view my complete analysis of LNC stock.
The Best Stocks to Invest in 2012 -Manulife Financial (NYSE:MFC) is a Canada-based financial services group operating in 21 countries. Since last February, MFC stock has declined 37%. MFC stock gets an “F” for the magnitude in which earnings projections have increased over the past month in my Portfolio Grader tool. For more information, view my complete analysis of MFC stock.
The Best Stocks to Invest in 2012 -Old Republic International (NYSE:ORI) is involved entirely with insurance underwriting. ORI stock has dipped 14% in the last year. ORI stock gets an “F” for operating margin growth, an “F” for cash flow and an “F” for return on equity in my Portfolio Grader tool. For more information, view my complete analysis of ORI stock.
The Best Stocks to Invest in 2012 -Principal Financial Group (NYSE:PFG) provides its customers with retirement savings, investment and insurance products and services. While the broader markets have posted gains, PFG is down 20% in the last year. PFG stock gets an “F” for sales growth, a “D” for earnings growth, a “D” for earnings momentum and a “D” for its ability to exceed the consensus earnings estimates on Wall Street in my Portfolio Grader tool. For more information, view my complete analysis of PFG stock.
The Best Stocks to Invest in 2012 -Unum Group (NYSE:UNM) owns numerous insurance companies in the U.S. and U.K., and has posted a loss of 13% in the last 12 months. UNM stock gets a “D” for sales growth, and a “D” for the magnitude in which earnings projections have increased over the past month in my Portfolio Grader tool. For more information, view my complete analysis of UNM stock.
The Best Stocks to Invest in 2012 -XL Group (NYSE:XL) works with industrial, commercial and, professional firms, as well as insurance companies and other enterprises. XL rounds out the list with a loss of 11% in the last year. XL stock gets a “D” for sales growth, a “D” for operating margin growth, a “D” for earnings growth, an “F” for its ability to exceed the consensus earnings estimates on Wall Street, an “F” for the magnitude in which earnings projections have increased over the past month and a “D” for return on equity in my Portfolio Grader tool. For more information, view my complete analysis of XL stock.